- Applicants must currently be in the volunteering and service sector and have an interest in advancing into positions with greater leadership responsibility during their career. Specifically, applicants must be managers expecting to assume executive-level roles within five to ten years.
- Applicants must have the support of their organization to participate, and if accepted, will be invited to participate in a year-long initiative that includes a Summit, webinars and additional resources.
- Applicants must be complete all required pre-academy work; attend the entire academy and implement lessons learned during the academy at their organizations; and participate in all follow-up activities.
- Applicants must be a citizen, a permanent resident of the U.S. or its territories, or a non-citizen who speaks English fluently.
- Applicants must pay for travel-related costs. Travel related costs include the following items: meals, lodging, air travel, and ground transportation. Funds granted by American Express will cover costs to attend the Leadership Academy, a welcome dinner the night before the program starts, breakfast and lunch on day one, and breakfast on day two.
Applicants will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Individual demonstrates a high potential for assuming leadership roles
- Demonstrates commitment to a career in the nonprofit sector
- Geography, ethnicity, gender and professional background are all factors that will be weighted evenly during the review process
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit a complete and signed application and all the supporting documentation in one package. Incomplete applications or applications not in proper format will not be accepted. The decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to a review process.
Required Application Materials
- First and Last Name, Title, Organization, Phone and Email. Optional: Gender, Ethnicity
- Your resume
- A 500- to 1000-word essay with the following questions answered in a comprehensive manner with complete sentences and in paragraph format:
- How would attending the American Express Leadership Academy benefit you/your organization?
- What are your organization’s current leadership challenges?
- Describe the nature of the work you manage and the challenges you have experienced as a leader.
- Letter of recommendation from a direct supervisor.